San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus (SFGMC) is seeking a highly organized, self-motivated individual with skills and experience to oversee the marketing, brand/image, public relations, and communications needs of SFGMC. This person will proactively coordinate vendors, be responsible for monitoring and meeting budgets, and ensure that the SFGMC brand is effectively promoted in print, digital, and social media platforms to achieve maximum awareness of the organization’s mission, activities, and identity.
Responsibilities include content creation and copy-editing, and overseeing collateral for marketing and development efforts, especially digital and print materials. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Marketing Manager collaborates with SFGMC staff, board, and chorus leadership, and interfaces with singers and other volunteers. This is not a graphic design role, rather it is a multifaceted project managing position for a strong writer that will allow the right creative person to stretch their wings. Threaded throughout each interaction, an eye toward community building and relationship development will enable SFGMC to grow.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Marketing & Online
- Manage and implement all marketing and promotional campaigns to meet ticket sales goals, and to develop audiences for chorus and ensemble performances.
- Produce or oversee timely delivery and distribution of all marketing and development promotional materials and collateral. Coordinate print, digital, and retargeting advertisements to best achieve ticket sales and revenue goals.
- Oversee SFGMC’s website and brand identity: ensure consistency, content fluency, functionality, and ease of user experience/interaction; maintenance and regular updates.
- Email newsletter: Generate rollout strategy and timelines for emails; create and preview tests, copy edit, maintain list data, etc.
- Social Media: Ensure vibrant use of SFGMC social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, SoundCloud, etc.); develop and monitor social media guidelines and usage by members and staff; coordinate advertising, blog, content production.
- Support: Engage with and redirect patron and supporter inquiries.
Publicity & Playbills
- Coordinate with PR firm for all public relations: maintain excellent press relations, distribute releases, performance listings, feature articles.
- Playbill & Programs: Assemble and oversee all concert literature. Manage staff/vendor/sponsor submissions and necessary graphics to deadlines, develop media kit, coordinate vendor for final delivery, copy-edit, etc. Write and copy-edit content for concert programs, e-newsletters, social media outlets; provide creative/design and copy-editing for appeals, event invitations, e-blasts, and online donation platforms.
- Engage staff and SFGMC singers, alumni, and community volunteers to assist in creating excitement and promoting marketing initiatives to promote ticket sales
Vendor Oversight & Direction
- Engage and manage brand-related vendors: graphic and website designers, photographers and videographers, printing services, and related.
- Merchandise: Order and maintain an inventory of t-shirts, CDs and related.
Planning & Budgeting
- Create and maintain annual marketing budget, including delineation of all marketing-related expenses and projections of earned revenue.
- Create detailed marketing plans for each season concert, for social media, etc.
- Direct mail initiatives: coordinating with direct mail vendors, overseeing and maintaining graphic design for direct mail, maintenance of list data. strategy for direct mail,
- Work closely with Development to ensure that appeals are brand consistent and effective, including graphics for appeals, photography for events, interfacing with sponsors/vendors for deliverables; relevant membership outreach; copy editing donation platform support, etc.
- Watch for potential community and arts partnerships to further SFGMC’s mission and create broader awareness of the organization’s activities.
Reporting Relationships: This role reports to the Executive Director and works closely with Development with no direct reports.
Compensation: Compensation will be commensurate with experience and qualifications, with a base annual salary range of $57,500-$67,500.
- Strategic thinker, jack-of-all trades. Work experience driving clear “wins.”
- Detailed, exceptional writer with strong analytical skills.
- Roll-up-your sleeves, collaborative entrepreneurial mentality
- Proven ability to thrive in a fast-moving, in-development environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred and/or 5+ years relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of marketing campaign strategy, digital advertising, email marketing, social media/content marketing and print advertising.
- Experience turning sales data into actionable strategy.
- Self-directed; Proven ability to manage multiple deadlines and prioritize.
- Excellent organizational and database management skills.
- Experience with Office productivity software. (SalesForce or Patron Manager is a plus.)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Strong interpersonal skills, and the confidence to comfortably interact with diverse groups of people.
- Active interest in San Francisco’s arts and cultural community. Previous experience in arts organization strongly preferred.
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Schedule flexibility to work select evenings and weekends during performance seasons.
About SFGMC: “The San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus creates extraordinary musical experiences that inspire community, activism, and compassion.” For 40 amazing years SFGMC has been shining brightly. Founded in 1978 as the first chorus to identify as gay or lesbian, it has been the torchbearer for the LGBT choral movement around the world. Singing an average of 30 appearances a year, the chorus has performed over 1,000 concerts at iconic venues such as Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall, the San Francisco War Memorial, the historic Castro Theater, Walt Disney Symphony Hall, and world-renowned Carnegie Hall. The Chorus is a family, a community, and an agent for change through its powerful music performing to sold-out audiences each year. SFGMC does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity, and is an equal access, equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
To Apply: If you feel you are an excellent candidate please compose a thoughtful cover letter demonstrating your writing ability and explaining how your skills and work experience align with the needs of this position. Submit this letter along with a current resume clearly reflecting your relevant experience.
No phone calls, please. [email protected]
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $57,500.00 to $67,500.00 /year
- Marketing: 5 years
San Francisco, CA 94114